The ongoing global pandemic has changed our everyday life drastically. None of us have experienced a pandemic of this scale, and it keeps bringing new challenges every day. But on the bright side, we are learning something daily and planning a strategy to tackle it.
While most of us are homebound and practicing social distancing, there are people out there, putting their health at risk to keep the country operational during this challenging time. From healthcare professionals to grocery store employees, the essential workers total up to 15 – 16% of the country’s population and half of them are women. The impact of this pandemic is expansive, and so should be our support to the essential workers.
How can employers support essential workers?
- It is your duty as an employer to look out for the safety of your employees by stepping up your standard of cleanliness.
- They are often put in a situation where they have to interact with a lot of people every day, which makes them more vulnerable to the disease. So, provide them with facemasks, gloves, and hand sanitizers to help them protect themselves.
- Communication is essential. This is a stressful time for all of us, and essential workers are no different. So, communicate with your employees, ask them what they need, update them on what they need to do before their shift, talk to them.
- They are risking their lives to keep the world in order. You can show your appreciation by giving them a small raise.
How can people show their support to the essential workers?
- Remember that they are just as vulnerable to the virus as the rest of us, and they are just as stressed too. They would rather be at home like the rest of us if not for the payroll. So, be kind and understanding.
- If you have a friend or a neighbor who is an essential worker, make sure to check on them often and listen to them if they want to rant.
- Do errands for them if possible, like walking their dog, babysitting, etc.
- Tip them.
During these stressful times, it is important to show gratitude and kindness to the people who risk their own safety to ensure ours.